Are hard, grainy, or calloused growths on the heels or other weight-bearing areas of your feet making every step uncomfortable or painful? You probably have stubborn warts, a common condition caused by strains of the human papillomavirus, or HPV, that slip into the top layers of the skin via tiny cracks, cuts, and other weaknesses in the surface, where it forms those all-too-familiar rough, thick growths.
The Problem With Stubborn Warts
While stubborn warts are not generally among the most harmful of foot conditions out there, successfully eliminating them can be difficult and frustrating. Here's why: Usually, when a virus invades the body, our immune system is alerted and sends antibodies to destroy it. Stubborn warts, however, are tricky. Because they remain near the surface of the skin, which isn't a big "patrol area" for our immune system, the virus is often left undetected and undisturbed.
To complicate matters, many traditional ways of treating stubborn warts can be quite unpleasant. Acids and freezing can sting, surgical removal can hurt, and warts can reoccur despite treatment. Additionally, while warts can eventually go away on their own, that may take years.
We Offer Revolutionary Treatment for Stubborn Warts
Fortunately, you don't have to put up with unsightly stubborn warts or suffer through painful treatments that may or may not work. Advanced Foot Care is proud to offer Swift therapy, an easier, more effective, and more comfortable solution for eradicating stubborn warts.
How Swift Treatment Works
Swift is a breakthrough therapy that tackles the problem of stubborn warts in a novel way: by helping the body's immune system do its job. Swift treatment delivers controlled, low-powered microwave energy into the area of a wart, initiating a beneficial response.
If you remember high school science, you know that microwaves can heat up and "excite" water molecules, causing them to start bouncing around. This happens within our cells, generating some heat and friction in the affected part of the foot.
Our cells respond to this heat and friction by releasing special proteins in the area, which serve as signals to our immune system that something isn't quite right, causing it to swarm the scene. Once it spots HPV and identifies it as a threat, it can begin eradicating it.
What to Expect From Swift Therapy
A typical course of Swift treatment takes three or four sessions, spaced about a month apart. Each session lasts between just five and 10 minutes. During a session, the Swift device will be applied to each area affected by warts and provide a two-second dose of microwave energy. (The total dosage and length of each session will depend on the size and severity of your case.) You don't need to do anything to prepare for your appointment, and you can continue on with your day as normal once the session is over.
The Benefits of Treating Stubborn Warts With Swift
Compared to more traditional methods of treating stubborn warts, Swift offers several huge advantages, including the following:
- It is much more comfortable. Most patients do not report any significant pain during a Swift treatment. Some report a minor pinching sensation that is similar to an injection, which lasts only two seconds per application before immediately vanishing. No anesthesia is used, and it is a much gentler option for children.
- There is no damage to the skin. Where chemicals and cuts can cause some damage to healthy skin, Swift only heats interior layers of skin and is not hot enough to burn.
- A faster response. Some patients' warts may clear up after only one or two sessions.
- No aftercare. You won't feel any lingering pain that causes you to hobble around for a bit after a session or have to deal with bandages, special shoes, or anything of the sort.
- Consistency in treatment. Since peeling acids and cryotherapy can damage healthy skin, it's not uncommon for doctors to be cautious with these treatments to avoid going too deep. However, this can increase overall treatment sessions and prolong patient discomfort. With Swift, these dangers are non-existent, meaning that it can deliver more reliable results in the initial treatments.
Schedule an Appointment With Our Expert Podiatrists
Don't let stubborn warts stick around any longer than necessary. Regardless of how long you've been struggling with this issue, don't feel like you need to ride out the course of the infection or suffer through painful treatments to rid yourself of the unsightly effects. With Swift treatment, we can effectively clear up your warts with minimal discomfort and hassle.
Complete our contact form or call our office in The Woodlands at (281) 292-7000 to schedule an appointment.